Pavlis reply STR's

Pavlis reply STR's

Postby Nick Pavlis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I am posting about short term rentals. As I said in our workshop, I’m concerned about people who have opened short term rentals in R-1 and R-1E areas and who might otherwise face a total ban. I am considering proposing a fixed time period of 45 days to get permitted. This length of time would help staff facilitate the process in a timely manner and allow those people who have short term rentals in R-1 and R-1E areas to be permitted. It would also be open to people who have not opened one yet in R-1 and R-1E areas, but have been waiting for this process to be completed. After that fixed time period the window would be closed in R-1 and R-1E, the permits would be considered compliant.
Nick Pavlis

Re: Pavlis reply STR's -- A Bad Idea

Postby Nick Della Volpe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Brother Pavlis -- Why should people who ignore the established zoning law restrictions --operating a business in a purely residential area -- get special treatment, indeed a reward, for defying the law and the sensibilities of their residential neighbors? A person's home is their castle, and, likely, their largest personal investment. They chose to live in a use-restricted residential neighborhood, not a mixed use / commercial and residential zone.
Frankly, the administration should be doing its job to clean up these zoning violations, not institutionalize get them. But perhaps that is a separate issue, for another day....

I get that young entrepreneurs want to turn a buck by renting out space in their house. But they are doing that on the backs and hard work and investment of their neighbors.
I'm sure there are good hosts and bad hosts and guests. But I don't buy the "only 5 complaints" logic. I bet neighbors, offended by such action, typically bite their tongues rather than start a feud with a renting neighbor.
I prefer to see these things only in mixed use and commercial areas.
Thanks
Nick D
Nick Della Volpe

Re: Pavlis reply STR's

Postby Nick Pavlis » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:02 am

Della Volpe reply-let's strangle business even more

We did nothing as a city to prohibit STR's while knowing all along they were operating. You and I and all members of council could have stopped this but choose not to enforce the codes. To me the same thing was true of food trucks. They were not operating properly but we found a way to make their investments work didn't we? This is not going to be a huge impact on neighborhoods. I seriously doubt hundreds of folks are going to run to the permit office when we lower the flag. Keep in mind, once the property changes hands the deal is over. I for one would rather help those that have invested and in many cases made their property a better place.

You or I have no idea about the 5 complaints to be able to make an educated decision. What i do know is that folks in the 1 st District don't hesitate to let me know when there is a problem in a neighborhood and we get it fixed. So if there is a problem I'd say we would know.

So Brother Della Volpe let's not forget about the everyday person that has made this investment and let our codes department do their job when called upon.
Nick Pavlis

Re: Pavlis reply STR's -- stop the illegals

Postby Nick Della Volpe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Pavlis, the simple answer to your reply is to fire The entire codes department and hire people who will enforce the law. (Council is not a law enforcement body). This is an administration failure, or conspiracy to undermine the existing law to get a "sharing economy" ordinance.
People buy homes in single family residential areas in reliance on the character of the neighborhood and the zoning. Why are we so quick to ditch the majority of homeowners in this community?
Nick Della Volpe

Return to City Of Knoxville, Tennessee / City Council Forum